About the Role
The Surplus division of Sigma Equipment is expanding and we are looking for enterprising, detail-oriented individuals to help us grow. Our Surplus division sells parts, components and smaller pieces of equipment used in the manufacturing industry on ecommerce websites. The buyer position is responsible for researching, evaluating, prospecting leads, negotiating and buying products for Sigma Surplus inventory. This role requires approximately 50% travel to visit sites and assess components for possible purchase.
What You'll Do
You will collect potential supplier leads from various sources such as Surplus website, customer call-in, acquisitions and sales departments, trade shows, rigging trips, and prospecting. You will then qualify leads to determine viability of site visit, coordinating multiple site visits per trip, assess items for Surplus resale and negotiate the purchase agreement.
- Prospecting calls to potential suppliers and convey the benefits of selling parts and components to Sigma Surplus.
- Manage queue of supplier leads and ensure the leads are contacted in a timely manner.
- Obtain pictures and as much information as available to qualify the lead.
- Work with suppliers to determine the best method for purchasing (crate program, on-site lot purchase, consignment, etc.)
- Develop travel plans for all site visits, ensuring visits coincide with each other and prospecting clients. ( Arrange car rentals, book hotels, flights, etc) while holding to department travel budgets.
- Create spreadsheets outlining specific items to be purchased. (Analyze what items fall into “Green” buy categories and determine which items surplus wants to submit purchase offers.)
- Work closely with Surplus Listing Lead to determine the correct “sale” pricing on specific items outlined for purchase.
- Create purchase offers (verbal and written) to suppliers.
- Negotiate purchase offers with suppliers in order to close the deal.
- Follow-up on outstanding supplier leads, ensuring they are still interested in selling their items.
- Work with the Director of Operations to finalize purchase offers for approval.
- Work closely with the Surplus team to ensure triage of incoming items has been completed and that final payment can be arranged.
- Review auctions to identify potential purchases, review potential purchases with the team to determine ‘not to exceed’ limit.
- College degree required, preferably in a technical discipline.
- Previous buyer experience is strongly preferred.
- Highly organized, detail oriented.
- Self motivated and disciplined.
- High computer proficiency skills (Excel, Word, and other web based applications used in the selling process).
- Demonstrated negotiation and closing experience; preferably in a B2B environment.
- Strong oral and written communication.
- And did we mention 50% travel...